Because a Member of Congress can nominate only ten individuals per year, per available slot to each academy, this process is extremely competitive. Candidates are selected based on scholastic and academic performance, extracurricular and community involvement, and leadership qualities.
Nominations are open to residents of the 49th Congressional District who are at least 17 years old but less than 23 by July 1 of the year of admission. Applicants must also be U.S. citizens, unmarried and with no dependents.
Prior to starting the application process through my office, you must contact your service academy of choice and request that a pre-candidate file be initiated on your behalf. Next, email Ryan Peters at firstname.lastname@example.org, my staff point of contact, to obtain a nomination application packet. The application process opens on March 1, 2014 and closes on Friday, October 31, 2014.
As of November 1st, 2014 the current Academy Nomination process is now closed. Please check back next year for the 2015 Academy Nomination process.
All Service Academy & R.O.T.C. Information Night:
On Tuesday, May 20th 2014, from 6:30 to 8:30 pm admissions counselors from each service academy and representatives from all college R.O.T.C. programs will host an information night for perspective students. Additionally Congressional Office Representatives will be available to answer questions regarding the Service Academy Nomination Process.
When: 5/20/2014 from 6:30 to 8:30 pm
Where: San Diego County Office of Education – 6401 Linda Vista RD. San Diego, CA 92111 in Rooms 401 – 402
Flyer: (Click Here)
General Qualifications for Congressional Nomination
- U.S. Citizenship, or plan to obtain it by high school graduation
- Official California Residency
- Age: By July 1 of entering year, at least 17, but no more than 23
- Marital status: Unmarried, not pregnant, and have no legal obligation to support children or other dependents
- Academic: Approximately 600 Verbal, 620 Math minimum SAT. Approximately 26 English, 27 Math minimum ACT. The ability to demonstrate strong mathematics skills is preferred
- Approximately top 20% of class ranking. Approximately 3.2 G.P.A. equivalent or higher. Note: These represent approximates from all academies. Inability to attain the above numbers does not represent automatic disqualification for consideration. Instead, these numbers should be used as a general guideline
- Must pass academy physical requirements and medical examination
- Must be of strong moral character