Every year, the 49th District holds a Congressional art competition for public, private, and home school high school students to compete for the best artwork of the year. The winning entry is displayed for eleven months as part of an art installation in the U.S. Capitol Building along with other winning submissions from around the country. The winning artist each year is presented with two round trip tickets to Washington, D.C. to visit the Nation’s capital and attend an exclusive reception inside the U.S. Capitol Building honoring the country’s winners.
Guidelines for the 2016 Artwork:
- Artwork must be two-dimensional;
- Each piece must be no larger than 28” x 28” x 4” – including the frame;
- Artwork cannot weigh more than 15 lbs;
- Work entered must be the original; and,
- All work submitted must be framed or have reinforced backing and be ready to hang on the exhibition wall.
Acceptable mediums for submissions:
- Paintings: oil, acrylics, watercolor etc.;
- Drawings: colored pencil, pencil, ink, markers, pastels, charcoal (pastel and charcoal drawings should be fixed);
- Collage: must be two dimensional;
- Prints: lithographs, silkscreen, block prints;
- Mixed Media: use of more than two mediums such as pencil, ink, watercolor, etc.;
- Computer generated art; and,
Each entry must be original in concept, design, and execution and may not violate U.S. copyright laws. Any entry that has been copied from an existing photo or image (including a painting, graphic, or advertisement) or that was created by someone other than the student is a violation of the competition rules and will not be accepted.
- Work entered must be in the original medium (that is, not a scanned reproduction of a painting or drawing).
The deadline for submission to my Vista District Office is Friday April 29, 2016 at 5:00 PM PST. Download the guidelines and student release form here.
For more information, consult the Congressional Art Competition Website or contact Sunana Batra at the Vista District office at 760-599-5000 if you are interested in participating.