Issa: Biden Must Answer 5 Critical Questions on Afghanistan
(Washington, DC) – Following criticism of President Biden’s reading of prepared remarks on the crisis unfolding in Afghanistan, Congressman Darrell Issa, senior member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, released the following statement:
“On Monday afternoon, the President read one prepared statement on the Afghanistan crisis, but he still owes the American people answers.
"President Biden must answer five critical questions about his leadership failures in Afghanistan:
"Why did you fail to create and implement a coherent plan to evacuate all Americans?
President Biden must answer five critical questions about his leadership failures in Afghanistan:
- Why did you fail to create and implement a coherent plan to evacuate all Americans?
- Why were your intelligence assessments so incorrect?
- What did the United States agree to give the Taliban in exchange for the ability to extract Americans?
- What does our precipitous withdrawal signal to our allies, including Ukraine and Taiwan?
- Why should anyone trust the Biden Administration again on issues of national security?”
Congressman Issa has called on Speaker Pelosi to return Congress to Washington to receive testimony and conduct oversight on the collapse of Afghanistan.
Additionally, Congressman Issa has called for Secretaries Blinken and Austin to testify before the House Foreign Affairs Committee next week.
Darrell Issa is the Representative of California’s 50th Congressional District. The District encompasses the central and northeastern parts of San Diego County and a portion of Riverside County, including the communities of Fallbrook, San Marcos, Valley Center, Ramona, Escondido, Santee, Lakeside, El Cajon, Temecula, and the mountain and desert areas of the San Diego-Imperial County line. Issa served as the Chairman of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform from 2011-2015.